The Bioinformatician is a part of our Computational Science team, which leads the bioinformatics research and development program at Canexia Health. Reporting to the Manager of Bioinformatics, you will perform statistical analysis of genomic sequencing data using leading-edge DNA sequencing technologies and computational methods. Your work directly helps identify targeted treatments and clinical trials that can benefit cancer patients. You work independently as well as together with software programmers, database developers, other bioinformaticians, clinical geneticists, and laboratory personnel.
What you’ll do
- Develop, manage, and document genome sequencing data analysis pipelines, and other algorithms and statistical models, for novel and proprietary cancer-focused next-generation sequencing (NGS) assays.
- Analyze and interpret clinical and research-based NGS datasets as they emerge from sequencers.
- Work closely with laboratory and software teams to assess and evaluate assay changes, optimize performance, and validate results.
- Assist with deploying and improving clinical assays and check the integrity of results to be reported to the clinical team.
- Contribute to designing, implementing, and reporting quantitative quality control and quality assurance processes from NGS output to ensure clinically robust reports.
- Design and generate validation studies and reports required for clinical accreditation.
- Compile reports for partners and collaborators.
Who you are
- Education: You hold a Ph.D. or Masters degree in bioinformatics, data science, biostatistics, genetics, genomics or equivalent.
- Industry experience: 1+ years experience working in a clinical or research setting related to genomics. Bonus if you have experience in cancer genomics.
- Linux/UNIX: Experienced in working with command-line interfaces.
- Coding: Proficient with Python (desirable) or other coding languages.
- NGS: Experienced handling NGS data including the quality control/quality assurance.
- Tech-savvy: Experienced for 3+ years with standard NGS analysis tools such as samtools, alignment software (e.g. BWA or bowtie) and variant detection (e.g. GATK, samtools). Added bonus if you have experience with GitHub and cloud-based computing such as AWS.
- Commendable analytical skills: Hold knowledge of statistical techniques and analysis of large data sets.
- Attention to detail: Uncompromisingly meticulous with the execution of analysis.
- Interpersonal skills: Excellent communication skills– written, verbal and non-verbal. You’re considerate and have the ability to develop cooperative relationships with your team members.
- Organized: Have the ability to organize yourself and set priorities.
Who we are
We believe everyone with cancer should have the same fighting chance to survive and thrive. We work in a rapidly evolving field that attracts smart, talented people who are committed to making a difference for cancer patients. But not everyone has access to the latest advances. People who join us are committed to bringing equity to critical aspects of cancer care. We are a lean and driven team building on this vision from the ground up. You’re a self-starter who can pitch in right away by deploying your own expertise to make this shared vision a reality.
Help us make cancer testing accessible to all
Canexia Health embraces a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce. We are an equal opportunity employer across race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, height, weight, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, and marital status.
How to apply
To apply for this position, email your CV and cover letter to email@example.com with job code: JD022 in the header.
We thank all applicants, however, only those to be considered for an interview will be contacted.