The Data Scientist is a part of our Computational Science team, which leads the bioinformatics research and development program at Canexia Health. Reporting to the Manager of Bioinformatics, you will develop software and methodologies to perform algorithmic and statistical analyses on genomic sequencing data using leading-edge DNA sequencing technologies and computational methods. Your work directly helps identify targeted treatments and clinical trials that can benefit cancer patients. You work independently as well as together with software programmers, database developers, other bioinformaticians, clinical geneticists, and laboratory personnel.
What you’ll do
- Organize and analyze large scale mutation data from tumor genome sequencing in a clinical setting
- Work closely with the lab and software teams to maintain data integrity
- Perform analysis of mutations across patient cohorts for quality control and to identify population-level patterns
- Use standard tools and computational frameworks to visualize, browse and statistically analyze distributions of mutations and clinical covariates
- Prepare statistically motivated plots of mutation data for presentation
- Develop approaches to identify anomalous distributions that can be leveraged in quality control processes
- Compile reports for partners and collaborators.
Who you are
- Education: You hold a Master’s degree in bioinformatics, data science, biostatistics or equivalent
- Industry experience: 3+ years experience working in a clinical or research setting related to cancer genomics applied to tumor tissue analysis and/or cell-free DNA/liquid biopsy.
- Linux/UNIX: Experienced in working with command-line interfaces.
- Coding: Proficient with Python (desirable) or other statistical languages such as R.
- Databases: 1+ years experience in SQL databases, with experience aggregating data within and across patient cohorts.
- NGS: Experienced handling NGS data including the quality control/quality assurance.
- Cancer genomics: Facility with cBioPortal interfaces and tools and relevant API-level packages in R or Python to analyse and interpret somatic mutations in cancer.
- Tech-savvy: Experienced with standard NGS analysis tools such as samtools, alignment software (e.g. BWA or bowtie), and variant detection (e.g. GATK, samtools). Added bonus if you have experience with GitHub and cloud-based computing such as AWS.
- Attention to detail: Uncompromisingly meticulous with the execution of analysis.
- Interpersonal skills: Excellent communication skills– written, verbal and non-verbal. You’re considerate and have the ability to develop cooperative relationships with your team members.
- Organized: Have the ability to organize yourself and set priorities.
Who we are
We believe everyone with cancer should have the same fighting chance to survive and thrive. We work in a rapidly evolving field that attracts smart, talented people who are committed to making a difference for cancer patients. But not everyone has access to those advances, which are all too often limited to patients at elite medical institutions or those who know someone who ‘knows someone working in our field. People who join us are committed to bringing equity and access to critical aspects of cancer care. We are a lean and driven team building on this vision from the ground up. You’re a self-starter who can pitch in right away by deploying your own expertise to make this shared vision a reality.
Help us make cancer testing accessible to all
Canexia Health embraces a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce. We are an equal opportunity employer across race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, height, weight, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, and marital status.
How to apply
To apply for this position, email your CV and cover letter to email@example.com with job code: JD034 in the header.
We thank all applicants, however, only those to be considered for an interview will be contacted.